How to deal with stretch marks occurring during the pregnancy?
Stretch Marks During Pregnancy – Stretch marks are pink, red, brown and sometimes purple streaks that appear on different parts of the body. They emerge when the skin rapidly stretches or shrinks. During pregnancy, 8 out of 10 women encounter stretch marks. Stretch Marks appear around the belly, thighs, hips and breasts area. Pregnancy causes hormones to change which softens the fibers causing tearing of the dermis layer of skin. When the dermis layer tears, it leaves a void in the layer that is visible as stretch marks. In most women, they appear at the end of the second trimester and starting of the third trimester (around 6 and 7 months), but they can be observed early. Stretch marks in pregnancy can be the biggest nightmare for women. While some women carry them as a trophy of motherhood, for others, they can be an ugly part of their beautiful journey of nine months. Though they do not come with a guarantee of disappearing, their appearance can be reduced.
You can do a lot of different things to fade stretch marks after pregnancy, but as they say, prevention is always better than cure. With some routine tips, you can reduce the chances of their appearance. And if they still come as an uninvited guest, with a few hacks you can reduce the appearance of stretch marks after delivery.
What causes the appearance of stretch marks– If the reason for their appearance will be clear, it will be helpful to avoid them. Though you can’t do much for some of the reasons, others can be a little less problematic if known-
- Genetics plays an important role here. If your mother had them, you are more likely to get them as well.
- Less collagen and elastin are another reason for stretch marks’ appearance.
- Less flexibility can also add to those scars.
- Rapid weight gain is a major reason for gaining stretch marks.
Before Pregnancy– If your baby doesn’t come as a surprise and you have been pre-planning it, It is always good to prepare your body for those changes. Your body goes through a lot while pregnant so giving it some extra attention before that can be a good move. You can also do a few things to avoid those stretch marks from appearing even before pregnancy.
- Start exercising if you aren’t doing it already. Exercising gives flexibility to your body and hence it can be a reason to avoid those marks.
- Have a balanced diet including all nutrients and micro-nutrients. A balanced diet including all nutrients will improve the health of your skin supplying it with all the necessary elements. It can profit you after getting pregnant.
- Work of elasticity of your skin. Skin having good elasticity s less suspicious to get stretch marks.
- Increase consumption of vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, and Zinc.
Avoid Stretch Marks During Pregnancy As soon as you get the news of pregnancy, start taking care of your body. The effect of stretch marks is less on the skin which has more elastin and collagen production. It can further be avoided by a healthy and steady weight gain. Quick weight gain is proven reason for stretch marks as it expands the skin in a small period. Some tips like moisturizing those parts of the body where marks are likely to appear or gaining a steady weight may help you reduce their arrival. Usually, the parts that are affected by these marks are the belly, hips, thighs, and breast area. The stretch marks are directly connected to your increased weight during pregnancy. Although weight gain is different for every woman, gaining a healthy weight steadily can help in their reduction. Follow these during the first trimester to diminish their arrival-
- Use a good quality lotion that can provide a lasting moisturization, and apply on the areas that are most prone to stretch marks by pregnancy. You need to do this in the morning time to keep your skin moisturized all day long.
- Use any nourishing oil at night to massage these areas. Nourishing oils are helpful to improve skin health that adds to the prevention of stretch marks during pregnancy.
- Get in touch with your doctor to ask for a guideline to healthy and steady weight gain, and stick to that. Arguably, it is the best way to avoid stretch marls.
- Have a balanced diet that helps you to achieve scar-free weight gain without compromising your health.
- Stay hydrated. Hydration improves the elasticity of skin causing fewer stretch marks during pregnancy.
- Have Vitamin C rich diet. Vitamin C increases development of collagen which results in improved elasticity.
- Get some sunshine. Vitamin D is another crucial nutrient that benefits. Be very careful while exposing yourself to the sun as your skin gets extra sensitive while pregnancy. Don’t overheat yourself. A few minutes should be good to go.
These measures can help you avoid stretch marks during pregnancy, but still, if you anyway get them, don’t forget they can get fade away with the right treatment. These stretch marks have high chances to fade away slowly, and they aren’t harmful and don’t cause any medical problems.